I was recently reading The Southeast Outlook, a free publication from one of the local mega churches in Louisville, and it had this 4 page spread devoted to members of the church that have been married for 50 plus years. One couple mentioned in the article have been married for 69 years!! The husband is 98 years young and they have been married for the vast majority of their lives. Their story, like many of the others, was so touching and insightful to read. Several couples mentioned how important it was to marry a Christian, to always keep Christ at the center of your relationship, not to go to bed angry, and last but not least to take your vows seriously! However, they did all seem to have one really common denominator and that was that most of them admitted that marriage is work and you have to work at it to keep everything running smoothly.
As far as I can tell from my short time being married is that we are all imperfect, sinful people that come together for life, and try through God's help to refine and bring each other closer to the Lord and closer to each other. It is a daily decision to be committed to one person for the rest of your life. A constant ebb and flow of emotions, work, love, and just plain ol' life. I think all of us married couples out there would agree that if you want your marriage to be successful you have to make time for each other. I'm not talking about just sitting in the same room and watching T.V. together, or both reading while sitting next to each other, I am talking about true quality time. Actually talking and communicating with your spouse about your day, your thoughts and dreams, hopes, and fears, making a deep connection. Ha, now please don't get me wrong, I honestly don't have it all figured out and I ask God daily to give me patience and to love Chris through respect and submission. As I say all the time "I'm a work in progress" and always will be! I can only hope that God gives Chris and I the kind of marriage that lasts for 55 yrs in which we can say "while 55 years seems like a long time, it has passed so fast that our wedding seems like only a few days ago." That is quoted from James and Virginia Rowe.

No comments:
Post a Comment